These are my top tips for moving abroad, based on my own experience. Many of them could be applied to any move; I found relocating within the UK harder than I did moving halfway across the world.
1. Be positive. I cannot stress this enough. If you approach the move with a positive attitude you are much more likely to enjoy the experience and settle in quickly.
2. Accept you will be probably feel homesick at some point, and accept that these feelings are normal. Talk to someone about it; the chances are that everyone who has moved abroad has felt homesick at some point.
3. Throw yourself into your new life. Go out and meet new people; join a class; learn a new skill; invite someone for a coffee… The more you put into your new life, the more you will get out of it and the more people you will meet (plus a good excuse to get out of the unpacking!)
4. Don’t pine for your old life. There will be some brands of breakfast cereal you can’t get; people who are no longer around; activities you can no longer do. Instead of wishing for things you can’t get, find out what you can do in your new country that you couldn’t do before, or what they eat for breakfast instead. Meet new people (and keep in touch with your old friends).
5. Do it. Don’t spend years wondering if you’d like it, or if you are too old. You can always move back if you don’t like it!
Please share your tips with me, I would love to hear them.